Let’s contemplate this Facebook conversation for a moment.
How about this…Let’s go big. Golden/Nelson 2016. An arrogant, yet charismatic Republican president and his wise, Democrat, WASP (read: lives in Winnetka, IL) VP. You could be my liberal Dick Cheney.
And I’m going to need you because I’m going to do A LOT of stupid shit.
But will there always be that clutch of beautiful young women around you to distract my attention away from useful productive thought?
Yes. That’s why I need you. Weren’t you listening?
That’s why I need a liberal VP.
I see. OK. Let’s start getting together the start-up capital.
I’m having a fundraiser for us next week. Spoiler Alert: There will be alcohol and hookers.
Ok. I can attend. Why do I suspect this will take more years off of my life?
Wreck Of The Delight
The standard right wing talking points against Obamacare are unsatisfactory to me. They’re contrived, unsubstantiated, logically manipulative. But still, it’s a powerful enough force that’s apparently worthy of sequestration, government shutdown, debt default, global economic disaster, Constitutional conflict, and finally attaining a plausible impeachment scenario to occupy everybody’s attention while the rest of the world catches up with the US’s decline.
So if the usual reasons don’t make sense, what could be the real reasons?
I’m starting my list of possible real reasons:
- It negates the South’s economic overall advantage in low cost labor.
- It complicates the plausible deniability of hiring undocumented workers in preference to legal Americans.
- The play on fear of government facilitates power for a few behind the scenes wealthy political puppeteers.
- Companies realize they will have to pay higher wages to keep good people.
- Big companies are concerned about the new ability of small competitors to start up and take market share.
- The subcontracting industry, notorious for low pay, zero benefits, and proficient in supplying “independent contractors” will have their manipulative apple cart upset a little bit.
- A loss of ability by certain industry segments to externalize labor related costs to the general tax base.
- It is a sheepskin issue by a sub-group to usurp power and recast government as an enterprise that is more efficient, profit driven, ethnically and culturally chosen, and emphasizing work productivity as a measure of contribution to society.
[Click for larger image.]